Today I spent the morning working (with help from my mother) on making a light tent so I can take really nice pictures of my beads. Thanks to Louis for the link to the plans. It is a fairly simple PVC pipe contraption – a rectangle with legs basically.
I went shopping for the supplies yesterday – I had a grand time in the Home Depot. A very nice cute guy was extremely helpful. He needed explanation of what a light tent was, and got that, but understanding just fell to pieces when I attempted to explain that I’m not a photographer. I got a really precious blank look when I tried to tell him that I make beads and that’s what I wanted to photograph. Oh well. He knew his pipe.
I decided to modify the plans a bit. The plans called for CPVC pipe, but that was much more expensive than regular PVC pipe. So, I bought the regular PVC pipe and assorted fittings. I also figured that a slightly more rigid frame would be better. The other modification that was made was that nothing was glued together. The legs didn’t get glued in the original plan anyway in order to allow for two sets of legs depending on application. Now the whole thing is soooo modular!
So, I had good luck with the initial light bulbs I bought yesterday – I got the top photo with those. The second photo is pre-light-tent. There was some thought that I needed more light in the tent and new light bulbs were the answer, so I went back to Home Depot and bought different light bulbs. The new bulbs were a better color, but less light. So, it was a trade off. The bottom picture is with the new light bulbs. I think I’ll have to get some more lights, but for now I seem to be getting passable photos.
This is what my mother and I built out of pvc pipe, glue, and duct tape. We’re still working on it. More layers and a stand are coming soon – well they’re coming anyway! Last weekend we got all the pipes cut and today we glued these together. The pipe is glued in rows – the rows are not glued to each other. The back ends are closed with duct tape.
This morning, while drinking my morning coffee, I ordered a sample of Satake glass from Dogmaw Glass. I’m so excited! I’ve been wanting to try Satake for years now. The sample pack is 20, 11″ rods in whatever colors you want to pick for $35. I picked out 10 transparent colors and 10 opaque colors. I can hardly wait ’til I get it.
Speaking of packages, I got my kiln couches etc. a couple of days ago. The kiln couches work great – I can get more beads in the kiln, so that’s good. And I’m looking forward to another package tomorrow. I got a sample pack of Effetre special colors (the yellows, oranges, reds, and browns), and orange and red transparents. I’ll have to figure out what I’m going to do with all the orange and red – other than sticking it in my glass holder contraption that is.
I joined the International Society of Glass Beadmakers. I’m thinking of going to the convention in August. That would make two conventions this summer, and the obligatory trip to visit my father. That’s a fair amount of traveling. So, I spent some time today looking at the convention book (downloadable from the website), and it looks like it will be a lot of fun.
Filed under Uncategorized
So today after dinner and a little bit of clothes shopping, we (my mother and I) went to Home Depot and bought a 10 foot long length of 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe. We also bought some PVC cement, and white duct tape. The goal here is to build some sort of contraption to hold my glass.
I have 58 different colors of glass; 25 transparent colors, 29 pastel colors, and 4 other. I am such a glass geek – I had a grand time taking all my colors out and separating them on the floor so I could count. I thought it was going to be a chore, but it was a lot of fun. While I was at it, I should have taken note of what colors I need more of. Oh well, I guess I’ll have to do it again. 🙂
I’m planning on putting in a glass order on Monday. I’m also going to order a couple of kiln couches, steel chopsticks, Pyrex punties and a rod nipper. I decided not to use a bolt because I thought something designed for the job would work better. The kiln couches have two levels so I should be able to get lots of beads in there at once without having to worry about them picking up texture from the kiln or sticking to each other.
Filed under Uncategorized